If you have a chocolate craving, some chocolate chips (or Hersey Kisses) and some toppings, making “bark” is one of the easiest ways to spruce up your craving. I picked up some coconut and candied walnuts the other day and used some chocolate candies from Whole Foods to make a generous portion of chocolate coconut bark [with candied walnuts and chocolate candies]. The boyfriend and I made it together and it took a total of about 20 minutes total (plus time for it to set) –so it’s incredibly quick and easy!
Chocolate Coconut Bark
– desired amount of chocolate chips (this depends on how much you want to make…we used about half a standard bag from the grocery store and it made almost a whole baking tray worth; if it’s easier, you can also do this with Hershey Kisses/a few chocolate bars)
– shredded coconut
– candied walnuts
– any additional toppings (suggestions: pistachios, more chocolate chips, almonds, raisins)
1. Line cookie sheet with tinfoil and put in freezer.
2. Put desired amount of walnuts in Ziploc bag and hit top of bag with spoon until crushed.
3. Melt chocolate chips in microwave by adding a few tablespoons at a time to a microwave-safe bowl and heating for 30 seconds. Stir until melted consistency is achieved, add more chocolate chips, and repeat until desired amount of chocolate is melted.
4. Remove pan from freezer and pour on melted chocolate, spreading evenly with a spoon. The layer should be about a half inch thick.
5. Starting with the shredded coconut, spread toppings over melted chocolate and pat down with a spoon as you go. This is important so the toppings set into the chocolate and don’t all fall off when you’re ready to eat!
6. Put the tray back in the freezer for at least thirty minutes. Break into chunks and enjoy! Keep refrigerated.